|Information Center Home
Aboriginal Connections offers paid features that apply to various areas throughout this site. Aboriginal Connections uses Paypal which allows you to make payments using your Paypal account or a major credit card, such as Visa, Mastercard, Discover, or American Express.
- Sponsored Listings
- Upon the submission of your URL, you are given the option of paying to have your Aboriginal Connections listing displayed at the top of your chosen category.
- You can also apply this feature to listings already in the directory, please read below.
NOTE: For listings added prior to the upgrade in 2005. You are required to create an account with Aboriginal Connections. You will then have to provide me with the desired URL and your username so that I can add your listing to your account. You will then see your listing under the Update URL link when this process is completed. You will also see the link New Payment that will allow you complete the Sponsored Listings payment process.
- Private forums can only be accessed by authorized members of your group.
- No one outside your group is permitted to view information in your private forums.
- Private online forums offers a better communication system between members of your extended family, group, club, team, organization, or business, thus making your group more effective and keeping all group members better informed of group activities.
- All of your forum members can communicate privately over the Internet, making all conversations easily available to everyone.
- Private Messaging to individual members in your private forums.
- Members of your group can collaborate from anywhere in the world.
- All discussions are searchable.
The Advertising Program is currently under development.
are free, but registration is required to add a listing,
submitted sites must in some way show Indigenous content, ownership,
or be resourceful to the variety of users this site serves.
alphabetically and categorically; sponsored, top 100, and new
listings are, by default, placed at the top of each category.
the Database: Aboriginal Connections comes with a sophisticated
indexed web directory which offers both the traditional boolean
search as well as AltaVista style search syntax. You can also
search within categories, as well as search on specific fields.
Search Results find
the word(s) you enter in the listing's title, description, or
Powerful Review System: Aboriginal Connections
comes with a built in review system allowing validated reviews.
Also available is displaying a users review summary, displaying
how helpful a review is and displaying a summary of the votes.
Users must register before adding a listing.
Listings are then approved by Rob Wesley, or a category editor.
Registration is required in order to reduce automated scripts
Newsletter that forwards all new listings added
in a specific time period.
New Listings: Users can quickly and easily
call up a list of all new listings added to the database by
clicking on the "New Listings" text link.
Top 100: Users can see at a glance the "Top
determined solely by Aboriginal Connections directory users
(via a calculation of total visits through the Directory).
Top Rated: Aboriginal Connections offers visitors
the ability to rate a listing, and the highest rated listings
can be quickly displayed by clicking on the "Top Rated"
Random Site: A user can call up one random
record if desired by selecting "Random Site".
Some other key points that I hope you will find useful in this directory:
- All pages load quickly.
- Easy to navigate.
- No frames.
- No popups. With one exception, the links users post in the forums use them as a security feature.
For users already listed in this directory - if you are trying to increase your hit count and reloading your browser, you will that notice no changed has occurred. That change only occurs when the site is updated, and that occurs quite frequently.
- Powerful Search The search can use MySQL full text indexes, or our own internal index system (same technology used in the Web Directory) for very fast searches on large databases. You can also search specific forums, categories, users, or by post date.
- User Avatars Users can upload their own custom avatars, or pick from an admin supplied list.
- Email Subscriptions Users can subscribe to a forum and get a nightly digest of all new messages.
Thread Tracking Users can "watch threads"
and get an email notification any time a thread is replied to
(only one email is sent out per reply, so the user is not flooded
with emails on a popular thread).
- Fully Threaded Posts are threaded properly, and users can pick if they want to see a post in threaded view, or in flat view.
- Private Messages Users can send private messages to each other if so desired.
Spellcheck A very quick spellchecker is included.
Users can also add words to their own custom dictionary.
- Customize Display Users can set a wide range of display options, from the time- zone messages are displayed in, to how many messages to display per page.
- Who's Online Users can view who else is on the forum, and what they are doing. You can also see how many guests are viewing the forum at any specific time.
- Edit Posts Users can (optionally) edit posts. You can also set a time limit for how long after a post has been made can it be changed.
Some of the features I intend to implement include:
- Forums (Bulletin Board), an advanced system allowing interaction for all users for any number of topics. Completed
- Aboriginal Web Advertising, this will be an advanced banner management system, allowing customers to log into their advertising accounts and view the complete history of their advertising performance. Near Completion
- Ecommerce, this web store management system will be used to display items available for purchase through the AboriginalConnections.com website. My main intention for this service is that it benefits Native people in various industries, by making advanced ecommerce technologies and solutions more easily accessible. It will be system that will provide First Nation peoples a medium through which their products can be displayed, and ultimately purchased by potential customers anywhere in the world. Near Completion
- Business Directory, a system that will contain various types of business and organization contact information searchable by name, location, company, etc. Commencing Q4 2005
- Employment Advertising and Recruitment, this system would give both the employer and employee an excellent venue to exchange both employment opportunities and resumes. Some features include: Establishment of an ongoing recruiting process for sourcing talent pool. Automation of recruitment process with tools to manage job listings and job applications. Saves time by enabling candidates to self-screen for potential opportunities. Speeds process with instant notification of interested and qualified candidates to hiring managers. Ability to apply online through Aboriginal Connections for employment opportunities. Requires further Financing
- Matchmaking/Singles/Dating Service, will provide users a venue to place your personal ads and 'meet' other users. Requires further Financing
Should you have any other suggestions regarding other projects that can be developed, possibly in cooperation with other parties, let me know.